Phased Array Column Speaker for Indoors-DSP1500
DSP1500 Series Phased Array Column Speaker for Indoors
I. Product Overview
The weaknesses of the traditional phased array column speaker on the market are as follows:
1. For better sound directivity, the diameter of the speaker is supposed to be smaller (usually 3"), but at this time the sound quality will be poor. Therefore, we should strike a balance among the diameter, sound directivity, and sound quality.
2. There are too many accessories for the operation control, debugging and installation of the traditional phased array column speaker, which is quite cumbersome for those operations.
3. The traditional phased array column speaker has the problems of high engineering cost, poor sound diffusion, and audio delay.
In response to the weaknesses as mentioned above, DSPPA designs and develops a phase array column speaker DSP1500, which can solve the related problems completely. It has the following advantages:
1. DSP1500 phased array column speaker adopts 8 4” HiFi drive units and combines with a unique patented algorithm for sidelobe suppression to design music mode (regular music playback) and hall mode (sound directivity) for a better balance among the diameter, sound directivity and sound quality.
2. The parameter settings and debugging of DSP1500 phased array column speaker can be done with only one network cable connected to a PC, and the sound beam directivity and decibel can be adjusted on the web interface on the PC, with clear operation process and various parameters, easy to use and more user-friendly.
3. DSP1500 adopts an innovative box design with one main and one sub speaker to solve the delay problem of the traditional active column speaker.With such design of DSP1500 phase array column speaker, various parameters of the main speaker can be calculated by the system and mirrored to the sub speaker synchronously, so that the sound quality of the sub speaker is the same as that of the main speaker. In addition, the design of the sub speaker makes the budget cost of customers greatly reduce and makes a better sound diffusion.
Combined with its proprietary electronic technology and digital signal processing (DSP) technology to develop DSP1500 Series Indoor Active Column Speaker, which is a new indoor active phased array column speaker with “controllable directivity” and can be used in conjunction with the dedicated passive speaker DSP1500L and the dedicated subwoofer DSP1500S for applications in different scenarios.
The column speaker is made of aluminum alloy speaker box, composed of 8 high-quality 4-inch full-range speakers, driven by a built-in 8-channel amplifier, with balanced input and 70v signal input. The directivity (vertical radiation angle) of the column speaker can be flexibly adjusted on the dedicated Web control interface.With the excellent built-in digital equalizer and phased beam adjustment algorithm, the directivity of the column speaker can be adjusted accurately and the sound quality can be improved effectively. (As shown below)
With excellent directivity, DSP1500 can adjust the directivity in three directions at the same time to ensure audiences in different directions can get an excellent listening experience. It has 3-band sound beams, and each has separate volume and EQ control (as shown below).
II. With Excellent Controllable Directivity Technology to Improve Drawbacks of Sound Reinforcement of The Traditional Column Speaker
The traditional column speaker is slim in outlook. Multiple speakers are used together for high sensitivity, good intelligibility and easy installation, often used in speech amplification. However, they are often installed above the head of audiences. The high-frequency sound of the traditional column speaker cannot be effectively transmitted to the audience area due to the horizontal directivity, and good intelligibility cannot be obtained due to the long reverberation time in places such as waiting rooms and churches.
With controllable directivity technology, DSP1500 at a high installation point can achieve good sound field coverage at a given volume by debugging DSP.
So, how does it achieve controllable directivity? After the column speaker is connected to a PC, it can generate the upward/downward tilted radiation directivity to cover the audience area based on the installation vertical height, listening distance and listening area, as well as the speaker distance and default data on the software debugging interface, which solves the drawbacks of traditional column speaker at a high installation point in less medium and high frequency and poor listening experience.
With controllable directivity, DSP1500 can emit the sound downward to the specified direction uniformly, greatly reduce the upward emission of sound and attenuate the acoustic reflection of the ceiling, as well as adjust the directivity in three directions at the same time to ensure audiences in different directions can get an excellent listening experience when it is installed vertically. (As shown in the figure on the left below)
In large-scale occasions with staircases, multiple DSP1500 can be installed according to the installation height. By adjusting the directivity, the area covered by each DSP1500 can be different, and the audiences in each area can get the same listening experience. (As shown in the figure on the right below)
III. With Excellent Technology to Build High-Quality Products
● With 8 4”full-band neodymium magnetic speaker units, it has a wide reproduction frequency.
● With high-performance DSP processor and multi-band FIR+IIR equalizer.
What is Digital Signal Processing (DSP)?
Short overview of digital signal processing (DSP): DSP uses digital signal processing technology to convert and analyze signals such as audio, video, voice, light, temperature, pressure or position, and then output data available.
Benefits of DSP technology in DSP1500 array speaker: A high-performance DSP Patented Algorithm for Sidelobe Suppression will give the processing power for high-quality effects ranging from on-device EQ to voice recognition, active noise cancellation, and surround sound capabilities. Premium DSP also requires very little power, prolonging the battery life of DSP1500 array speaker for longer operation.
● With a built-in high-performance DDC patented algorithm for sidelobe suppression.
DDC is a multi-channel loudspeaker array technology where the single loudspeaker element is positioned in space according to a patented algorithm. This Phased Control Technology optimizes the shape of the far field main lobe, and enables users to electronically manipulate the vertical sound diffusion of a DSP1500 array speaker.
With adjustable vertical sound directivity, it can emit the sound downward to the specified direction uniformly, greatly reduce the upward emission of sound, and attenuate the acoustic reflection of the ceiling.
● Highlights of DSP1500S Powered Subwoofer.
IV. System Connection Diagram
1. Applications in Auditorium / Multi-function Hall:
2. Applications in High-level Conference Rooms:
3. Applications in Churches:
V. The Relationship Between the Reverberation Time of the Auditorium and the Sound Reinforcement System
Speech intelligibility is in the top priority in all indexes requirement for sound reinforcement system desgin of auditorium and stadium. The designer should take into account the reverberation casued by the architectural layout of the auditorium and the sound reinforcement system. Therefore, how to deal with the relationship between the reverberation time and the sound reinforcement system will have some direct impact on the listening experience of the audience.
In response to this problem, DSP1500 phased array column speaker developed by DSPPA has unique advantages in such sound reinforcement occasions with long reverberation time: it adopts a high-performance DSP processor and a multi-band FIR+IIR equalizer, as well as a high-performance DDC patented algorithm for sidelobe suppression and other digital audio processing technologies, to adjust various parameters on the web control interface with a PC/tablet/mobile phone on the spot, such as adjusting the Q value of the column speaker to control the coverage area of the sound beam, effectively reducing the loss of consonant intelligibility.
Throught the control interface, you can control the vertical directivity to aim the sound at the required position. The speaker can support 2 channels of audio inputs, one of which can be divided into 2-band sound beams, and combined with the other channel to output 3-band sound beams at the same time. The directivity, distance, volume decibel, and EQ value of each band of sound beam can be directly adjusted on the web interface through a PC and mobile phone. In this way, we can adjust the volume decibel of the downward directed sound beam to a higher value, and adjust the volume decibel of the upward directed sound beam to a smaller value. When the upward volume decibel is at a small value, part of sound will be reflected from the wall and ceiling, thereby further reducing the volume and the impact of reverberation in the auditorium for an optimal sound reinforcement in the auditorium.
Increasing the intensity of direct sound in the auditorium cannot change the reverberation time of the auditorium, because the reverberation time of the auditorium is only determined by the indoor space, and the performance, structure and distribution of the sound-absorbing materials on the wall, as well as indoor equipment and the absorption and reflection of sound energy by audiences, but has nothing to do with whether a sound reinforcement system is installed.
For example, as a foreign church with large space is not allowed to use the sound-absorbing materials on the wall, audiences sitting in the back cannot hear clearly due to the long reverberation time. The electro-acoustic workers install a column speaker composed of small speakers on the side of the column in the church, facing the audiences, resulting in a good sound effect. From the perspective of acoustics, the application of the column speaker can not only enhance the directivity of the speaker system, improve the coverage area and intensify the direct sound, but also improve the speech intelligibility.
Distribution of Speakers Used in Churches
Distribution of Speakers Used in Airports
VI. Flexible Mounting Mode
In various sound reinforcement occasions, the column speaker is required to install vertically against the wall or column without tilting, well-matched with the environment. The sound beam radiation direction can be freely changed on the Web control interface through a PC/tablet to cover the audience area directly. Also, it can adjust the built-in EQ (frequency equalization) function of the phased array column speaker for an optimal transmission frequency characteristics with feedback suppression and high sound transmission gain for sound reinforcement of the auditorium. And it has a built-in high efficient digital amplifier. When it is in use, only the program source is required, without complicated audio peripheral equipment.
VII. Functional Structure
DSP1500 3-brand Phased Array Speaker
● The active phased array column speaker is composed of 8 built-in 4” full-range speaker units, and driven by a 8-channel digital amplifier module driver, with 35W for each drive unit, and 280W for the total power.
● The passive column speaker is composed of 8 built-in 4” full-range speaker units, with 25W for each drive unit, and 200W for the total power.
● The active woofer is a single 12” speaker unit with a power of 300/4ohm.
DSP1500L Sub Speaker
DSP1500L can be used as a traditional column speaker with a “4Ω adapter cable”, equivalent to serve as a 4Ω column speaker; and can be used as a phased array column speaker when connected to DSP1500 phased array column speaker with a “D5M connecting cable”.
The general column speakers or other speakers are insufficient in low frequency. In order to make up for their shortcomings, we have developed DSP1500S low-frequency speaker, which can be compatible with other column speakers to effectively compensate for the low-frequency components of the sound and improve the sound quality.